Wednesday 20 July 2011

Harry Potter - A Review


So the greatest film franchise has finally come to an end. Will it be the last we hear of the boy wizard, I doubt it.
The new film was quite possibly one of the finest out the series. David Yates managed to compose a film that was well flowing and less clunky than if he had simply followed JK Rowling’s description (no offence JK). The battle scenes made sense with most scenes stuck together beautifully. No major parts of the book were cut and I can find little complaint when looking at it in comparison to some of the lesser films of the series.
It was brilliant to see the vast array of cast that prove Britain makes em like no other: Maggi Smith who was beyond brilliant as per usual, Robbi Coltrane doesn’t do sobbery as well as he does comedy but who am I to complain for we all love Hagrid, Ralph Fiennes may have divorced River Song/Elizabeth Corday but everything is forgiven for this most brilliant portrayal of Voldy, Alan Rickman made me cry, Matthew Lewis is a wonderful Neville (although saw him in a play and the idea is to project your voice not shout), Tom Felton should have had his redeeming moment at the end and Draco should have stayed with the Hogwarts students, Gambon is a legend even if he’s playing a dead dude, Evanna Lynch has some weird accent going on but she is as much Luna as Rupert Grint is Ron,  Wawrick Davies does Flitwick and Griphook sublimely, Jason Issacs- I love you as much as Mark Kermode (if you don’t know who this is you are an idiot), Helana Bonham Carter you deserve an Oscar for your volume of work you are amazing in everything (including “Planet of the Apes” which no offence to your husband- if you read this which I doubt you will- is a pile of rubbish that should have been left well alone), I could go on but just look on IMDB for the list of cast and put “was brilliant” next to their name and  you get the picture.
I guess I will have to mention the trio so here goes: Daniel Radcliffe was better than in any of the other films (aka he did an ok job).  Rupert Grint was fantastic and I am very interested to see how his career progresses for I think he is going to have a good future. Emma Watson is Hermione it is hard to tell if she is acting or just playing herself but she did a good job.
The film did have some poor moments admittedly; the epilogue is one big gleaming example. The epilogue is by far one of the lesser points of the books, almost childish in the writing sense, being in the book I guess it was necessary to be included in the film so I can’t truly complain. I feel that Yates again did the best he could but I feel that the acting of Daniel Radcliffe and the fact that ageing him up just made him look twentyish failed the whole thing. I think it would have been less ruined if they had used forty year old actors to take their places. Luckily the scene was kept short and sweet and was a moment in which to stop crying before the cinema lights went on and embarrassment was thus avoided through cringing at Radcliffe.
Other slight faults include a little too much happiness at the end of the battle. If you had just lost your son, would you be prepared to smile and gleam at Harry Potter whether or not he had just killed Voldermort; Molly Weasly certainly beamed. Yates maybe could have understood the grieve of his characters slightly.
Also” Neville, Neville, Neville” you were standing right next to the snake with the sword but you felt it necessary to make a big dramatic talk when you could have just chopped off his head. Yates should have made the length between Neville and the snake greater if he wanted his chase sequence at the end any less annoying.
Lastly I shall mention Julie Walters who made my life complete with the line “Not my daughter you BITCH!” which resulted in her killing Belatrix Lestrange. It was my favourite moment in the book and it was my favourite moment in the film you will enjoy it.


LAST WORDS
A decent, excitable, fast paced, emotional rollercoaster film that will leave you crying and laughing in a jolly, nice goodbye, sort of way. Just bring a sick bucket for the epilogue.

No comments: